Monday, November 17

The Lame Logic of Interesting

A peaceful, snowy day in November sent me straight to the piano, where I tried to plunk out some Christmas tunes and eventually realized I've got a lot of tuning up to do before the holiday actually gets here. So what do I do when even music cannot silence my boredom? Pick up the proverbial pen and paper, of course. In my world, that means the keyboard and blog.

As sad as snow in November and a slump in piano talent, this blog ranks pretty high up there, too. I remember back in my blogging prime, readers would claim our lives were so interesting and there would never be anything for them to write about if they had a blog. In response, I would think, not true. Anyone's life can be made interesting if you make it that way. Somehow, I was so easily inspired whenever I sat in front of the computer. What has happened to me? Why can't I find inspiration anymore? I did some research and found out that my life, quite simply, is not very interesting. This sounds lame, but it is true in a very logical way.

1. I used to live in a household of eight, where I had seven other people to write about if my own life was not inspiring. And every one of my brothers lived a fairly entertaining life. Our family had many conversations that would spark ideas and they would do blog-worthy activities.

2. I used to attend school - a university, actually. I met, interacted with, and watched many different people from diverse backgrounds. Daily life was full of adventure and new experiences.

3. I used to read books. Even if it was mainly textbooks, I was learning, and my mind was constantly stimulated. An active mind brings creative thoughts. Outside of devotions, I never take the time for reading books anymore.

4. My life now lacks diversity. Every weekday, I spend the early morning with my husband, go to work and spend the rest of my morning doing tasks I have done at least a hundred times, interacting with the same two people, and eating lunch with the same person (Disclaimer: my coworkers are wonderful - if it weren't for them I would go crazy having nobody to talk to all day). From there, I spend the rest of the afternoon doing things around the house until my husband gets home, and spend my evenings either at home with him or visiting family or friends.

5. In the life of being a housekeeper, my time has been devoted to activities outside of writing. I have been nurturing other talents, such as baking and crafting, instead of writing and even music. Baking seems more practical, and I have been working on several different crafts and projects for our home. Practicality seems to be taking over my life, and blogging does not fit into the practicality time schedule.

But everyone who knows me well knows I love to write. Writing is my way of venting, of making sense of the world around me. The only time I stop to think about life is when I put it into words that I can read (note the orange post). I have a talent that is getting rusty because I am not taking the time to nurture it, and even my mental health seems to be suffering. Nothing to be concerned about, I just feel unsettled and confused when I don't write often enough.

How are we going to fix this problem? I am going to come back to the blog more often. I will read. I will learn new things and meet new people, even without spending thousands of dollars for an education. I will sit in public places and just watch people. I will look for inspiration in the daily happenings around me. I cannot expect inspiration to find me - I must pursue it myself.

Whew, glad I got that all sorted out. Oh, the peaceful bliss that comes back over my heart when I know my problems have been transcribed to an organized, comprehensible format.

Kind of like the first winter's snow that blissfully drifts to the ground in flakes big enough to choke on.

1 comment: