[Attention: I do not believe the following butchering photos should be graphic or offensive, but viewer discretion is advised for those who have trouble with the sight of raw meat...]
Saturday was hog butchering day at Seth and Brenda's! Last winter, we gained some butchering experience from Phil and Kelli's hogs, so we were old pros this time when Seth and Brenda's hogs were ready to meet their destiny. They have a nice little shed that is perfect for the process.
We apparently showed up a little late, because they were just getting ready to start the second hog when we arrived.
 |
| The assembly line...I didn't get a good picture of the grinder farther over to the left. |
 |
| Getting the meat off to grind up for lots of ground pork and sausage! |
 |
| This is where the "fat" of "Killing the Fatted Hog" comes into play. Matt claimed this job for the latter part of the morning and afternoon (melting fat to make lard). They got quite a lot of lard and we even got to bring home a couple jars! Now I need to find a way to use it up...pies and donuts, I am told? |
 |
| This is the wrapping station in the kitchen where I did most of my helping. We had ribs, chops, roasts...and between the various spice concoctions of Brenda and Kelli, there ought to be quite a variety of sausage! |
We had a great day and topped it all off with a delicious outdoor lunch on a beautiful Saturday. What a fun time to work together as a family!
No comments:
Post a Comment