My current role in life as a mother of two-under-two has been corralled into a very simple diagram.
But first, I will take you back to the days of college when we were shown a "College Life" diagram. It says something like, "Good Grades; Social Life; Enough Sleep: You can only Choose Two." And it was rather true. I think I chose good grades and a social life. Why I didn't take advantage of full nights' sleep back then is beyond me.
This new stage of life called "early motherhood" has a similar survival method. Thus, I have created a diagram to present my findings.
Care for children; Be cheerful; Get things done: I can only choose two.
On the days when I am home alone with the children, I typically need to sacrifice either cheerfulness or productivity. Several factors apply, such as whether I take a nap when the boys are sleeping (be cheerful) or skip my nap (get things done). And don't even suggest that I try to work while the boys are awake. I cannot sit there serenely dicing vegetables for my potato soup while my baby tastes a sample of every item in the trashcan and my toddler comes out with dripping underwear to inform me he went potty in the toy cupboard. I just can't do it.
Maybe someday I'll get it all figured out and be able to do it all. Maybe someday I'll be Supermom. But for now, I'm just a Mom. And that's okay.
As busy as things sometimes get, I am enjoying this stage of life: the boys are still little, things are simple, and our small family gets to be together basically all the time. I know it won't always be this way, nor would I want it to stay like this forever.
But We Have This Moment...today.
So, I have learned not to try accomplishing too much around here. And if I do? Well, now I have a helpful diagram to remind myself of the consequences. ;)
On the days when I am home alone with the children, I typically need to sacrifice either cheerfulness or productivity. Several factors apply, such as whether I take a nap when the boys are sleeping (be cheerful) or skip my nap (get things done). And don't even suggest that I try to work while the boys are awake. I cannot sit there serenely dicing vegetables for my potato soup while my baby tastes a sample of every item in the trashcan and my toddler comes out with dripping underwear to inform me he went potty in the toy cupboard. I just can't do it.
Maybe someday I'll get it all figured out and be able to do it all. Maybe someday I'll be Supermom. But for now, I'm just a Mom. And that's okay.
As busy as things sometimes get, I am enjoying this stage of life: the boys are still little, things are simple, and our small family gets to be together basically all the time. I know it won't always be this way, nor would I want it to stay like this forever.
But We Have This Moment...today.
So, I have learned not to try accomplishing too much around here. And if I do? Well, now I have a helpful diagram to remind myself of the consequences. ;)
You are wise for your young age!
ReplyDelete